Close Ad >>

How-To Videos

How to Revitalize Hardwood Floor

revitalize-hardwood-floor

The first step in revitalizing wood floors is to give the floor a good cleaning. You don’t want any soapy residue, so use the cleaner recommended by the product you’re using.

Once that’s dry, you can apply the revitalizer. The revitalizer goes on a milky white, but it will dry clear. Spread it smoothly and evenly and allow it to dry well before any traffic is allowed on it.

Watch the video for details.

Print   Video Transcript

The first step in revitalizing wood floors is to move out the furniture and give the floor a good cleaning. You don’t want any soapy residue, so use the cleaner recommended by the product you’re using. The cleaning is necessary to allow the revitalizer to get into the pores and scratches in the existing finish and adhere to it. Once that’s dry, you can apply the revitalizer. Revitalizers work best on floors that are sealed with polyurethane, so if you don’t know how your floor is sealed, it’s best to test it on a small inconspicuous area first. Most pre-finished wood floors like this one are sealed with polyurethane and the polymers in the revitalizer will fill in the small scratches and cover the floor with a thin protective coating. The revitalizer goes on a milky white, but it will dry clear. You simply need to spread it smoothly and evenly and allow it to dry well before any traffic is allowed on it. As you can see, the results are pretty amazing.

Comments

8 Comments on “How to Revitalize Hardwood Floor”

• Bonnie Statler Says:
    December 29th, 2017 at 9:30 am

Can you give me an approx. time it takes for this product to dry enough for foot traffic?? I have 3 cats, and don’t know how long I can keep them cooped up in a bedroom!! 🙂 Thanks

• Karen Parke Says:
    November 14th, 2017 at 10:55 pm

Live in a 1950’s home with original hardwood floors. How do I test them to know what type of finish the have. Thanks

Lindsay Hughes Says:
    January 30th, 2017 at 11:43 am

Cathy, we used the hardwood floor restorer from Rejuventate. Here’s a link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rejuvenate-32-oz-Professional-High-Gloss-Wood-Floor-Restorer-RJ32PROFG/202269998

• cathy whelan Says:
    January 29th, 2017 at 11:51 am

Would like product name for revitalizing hardwood floor as seen on your show! thanks!

• Sheila Says:
    January 29th, 2017 at 11:36 am

Same as Sue. I am moving soon, and will need to revitalize my hardwood floors once I’ve moved everything out. I just caught the last part of your show, looked up the video, but still cannot find the name of the product. And, can I use it on my wood cabinets?

• Judy Watkins Says:
    January 28th, 2017 at 7:03 am

Watched your show this morning and was SO happy to see your information on revitalizing hardwood floors. I would very much appreciate the name of the product you were using. I have used Bona hardwood floor polish, Rejuvinate and Zep however none of those are the color or consistency of the product you applied. Please provide the name of the product you were using.. Thank you so much!

• Ellen Shippee Says:
    December 26th, 2016 at 12:41 pm

thank you for your info on revitalizing hard wood floors. Do you have a product that you would recommend for this process. Thank you

• Sue kimmel Says:
    December 24th, 2016 at 11:34 am

Love your show. This morning you featured revitalizing a hardwood floor. Can I use this product to revitalize my kitchen cabinets? They are dull and I’d just like to wipe something on them. I’ve cleaned them with murphys oil soap, but they could. Use a little brightening up! And, can you please provide the product name? Thanks.

How to Revitalize Hardwood Floor