Simple Solutions

How to Stop a Door from Rattling

By: Joe Truini

To stop a door from rattling when it’s closed, remove the strike plate and bend the metal tab forward slightly using pliers so the latch fits securely in the strike plate. Screw the strike plate back in place, check the door, and readjust if needed.

Watch the video above to see Joe’s Simple Solution.

Joe Truini, a seasoned contractor and accomplished author, hosts Simple Solutions on “Today’s Homeowner” TV. He also co-hosts the Today’s Homeowner Radio Show.
Joe has written for a number of national publications including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Fine Homebuilding, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner magazines. He has also written eight books, including three best-selling shed-building books for Taunton Press.

MORE SIMPLE SOLUTIONS: Joe is always dreaming up ways to make your life easier! Check out our Simple Solutions archive for more great tips!

Don’t miss out! Follow Today’s Homeowner on social media for exclusive videos, home improvement tips and behind-the-scenes photos.

Comments

7 Comments on “How to Stop a Door from Rattling”

• Emily Anne Says:
    October 10th, 2018 at 11:07 pm

So glad I found this post! I thought for sure there was a ghost or something & found myself on google trying to figure out why my door keeps making these crazy noises! Whew!

• Rose Owen Says:
    August 5th, 2018 at 5:22 am

Thanku, doors were driving my son and me nuts. Had same plates in entrance doors but not inside doors so went to Bunnings, $2.50each and l replaced all of them. 😂

• Caitlin Says:
    August 4th, 2018 at 10:26 am

My door did not have a strike plate, so I folded up a square of duct tape and taped it to the inside edge of the hole where the strike plate would have been. This took up the extra space and now the door no longer rattles.

Thomas Boni Says:
    March 29th, 2018 at 8:56 am

Thanks for sharing the solution that worked for you, Melissa!

• Melissa Says:
    March 28th, 2018 at 12:18 am

I put a small amount of white sticky tack along the edge of the door frame and now the rattle has stopped. It just takes up the extra space so the door closes snug. My cats rattle the door at night so that’s why I had to stop it.

• Carly Says:
    February 23rd, 2018 at 7:51 am

Thanks, but it didn’t help at all 🙁

• Angela Says:
    January 4th, 2018 at 6:56 am

We have recently purchased a home and I installed new doorknobs with strike plates. The new strike plates do not have the tabs shown in your video. Help?

How to Stop a Door from Rattling