HVAC System Heating and Cooling Maintenance Tips for Your Home
By: Danny Lipford
The best way to ensure that your heating and cooling (HVAC) system is performing at its highest possible efficiency is to hire a licensed heating/cooling professional to inspect and maintain the unit twice a year. HVAC pros are trained in all aspects of your unit’s maintenance and perform tasks such as:
- Cleaning or replacing the air filter
- Cleaning and inspecting the blower and motor
- Testing the safety controls on the HVAC system
- Inspecting the burner on the furnace
- Testing pressure switches
- Inspecting ductwork and sealing any leaks
Homeowners can also inspect the ductwork periodically for leaks and to make sure it is properly insulated and sealed. This is important since leaky ductwork wastes energy and increases utility bills. Any gaps should be taped with special metallic tape (do not use standard duct tape) then sealed using duct mastic.
Homeowners should also clean or change air filters monthly to achieve the greatest possible energy efficiency from a HVAC system.
If you’re planning on purchasing a new heating or cooling unit, be sure to check the energy efficiency rating. While energy efficient units cost more initially, they’ll save energy and money in the long run.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Tips for Dealing with HVAC Pros (article)
- How to Choose HVAC Air Filters (article)
- Tips for Maintaining and Buying a Central Air Conditioner (video)
Videos You May Like
|Servicing a HVAC System||Proper Size for a HVAC System||How to Find the Air Filter for the HVA...||Test HVAC Ductwork for Leaks|