Ask Danny Videos
Improving the Look of a Concrete Porch Floor
By: Danny Lipford
A concrete porch floor or patio doesn’t have to be boring and bland. Here are some tips to improve the look of unfinished concrete.
To dress up a concrete floor:
- Clean Concrete: Clean the concrete thoroughly. Special concrete cleaners are available for this purpose.
- Score Concrete: Use a circular saw equipped with a masonry blade to cut shallow grooves in the concrete using a straight edge as a guide. A diagonal pattern works well.
- Paint or Stain Concrete: Apply either concrete paint or concrete stain to the floor following the instructions on the container.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Score and Acid Stain a Concrete Slab Porch or Patio (video)
- Removing Rust Stains from Concrete (article)
- How to Lay a DIY Paver Patio (video)
Danny Lipford: Sarah wants to know, “How can I add a little pizzazz to our boring concrete porch?”
No, Sarah, you don’t have to put up with that boring concrete front porch. You can have one that looks as nice as this. All this homeowner did is to clean the front porch concrete thoroughly and then applied a coat of concrete paint.
There’s so many different colors that you can find one that’ll compliment the colors of your house very easily. Another option—staining the concrete. Again, clean it well, use a stain. It has a slightly different end result but still very, very attractive.
Now, if you really want to raise the level in terms of the design of your concrete front porch or any concrete surface, you can use a circular saw with an abrasive blade and then just score it in any kind of design that you would like.
A simple pattern works very, very well. And you’d be surprised how much it can change the look of the concrete.
Videos You May Like
|Dressing Up a Patio Floor||Screen Porch Conversion||Staining a Concrete Patio||Staining Concrete Surfaces|