Videos

Tip for Cleaning Under the Refrigerator

Using homemade vacuum attachment to clean under a refrigerator.

Using a homemade vacuum attachment to clean under a refrigerator.

People are usually pretty diligent about cleaning the inside of the refrigerator, but cleaning the outside is important as well, especially underneath where the cooling coils are located. Here’s a tip for cleaning this hard-to-reach area.

Comments

14 Comments on “Tip for Cleaning Under the Refrigerator”

Thomas Boni Says:
    May 5th, 2019 at 12:42 pm

Thanks for sharing your tip with the TodaysHomeowner.com community, Lee!
    Take care. 🙂

• Lee Robinson Says:
    May 4th, 2019 at 1:53 pm

I have a 20 yea old Hoover FoldAWay vacuum, in a 24×40 2 bedroom mobile home. I used the original main filter the whole time, and recently replaced it. It was still doing a great job of filtering! My secret? I have a 6 HP air compressor in my worshop set at 125 psi.When I clean out the cannister after sweeping, I BLOW ALL THE DUST OUT OF THE FILTER , and put it back to work! I have about a 6″ extension on my blowgun, to reach some little corners and pockets. I am going to try the suggestion by someone to use the compressor air on my fridges (have 2, i in house, one in workshop). I’ve use the high pressure air in many places, but be cautious. If you have coils that have aluminum foil type cooling fins, as the high pressure could damage them. Test first on one or 2 fins near the ends of the pipes. If you damage one or 2 of those, it won’t have any effect on your units operation. But if you strip out 6 or 8″ or more, it could have some drastic effect!! Always start with the nozzle at least 6″ or more away from delicate stuff and then carefully adjust the distance so you don’t send the fins into the next room!!! High pressure air can do a lot of good BUT it can also do a lot of damage!!! Lee

Thomas Boni Says:
    October 1st, 2018 at 5:07 pm

Hi, Margie,
    We haven’t covered that topic yet, but you might try this resource from our friends at Architectural Digest: https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/how-to-clean-marble
    Good luck!

• Margie Fenner Says:
    September 28th, 2018 at 6:41 pm

I have marble tile counter top in the bathroom. A leaking bottle of soap was left on the counter and it stained it. Any advice on how to remove it. I have washed it over and over many times. Thank you!

• 1st Pita Says:
    September 5th, 2018 at 8:37 pm

Love ur idea used to clean out frm under da fridge. That idea is one of the best Inexpensive, back savin way to handle da job. I am a jill of sum trades , master at most. I love workin w/ wood so u will be seeing my name probably more often than u want. I always have ?’s., im da type that i hve to knw how thingz work wat makes ’em tik & if they not tikin then y. I guess i live up to my nick name “pita” ~pain~ in ~The ~ass datz wat my dad was calling me almost frm day 1. lol. So whn u see da name pita that would be me grl w/da ?’s tlk 2 ya’z ltr.
    Pamela/1st*Pita

• George Sobus Says:
    May 2nd, 2018 at 8:33 pm

If you have an air compressor try this. First pull the fridge away from the wall and remove rear panel.Then remove the front panel. Take the air nozzle and blow all the dust from the coils towards the rear of the fridge.Vacuum the contents at the rear of the fridge. Works every time.

Thomas Boni Says:
    March 14th, 2018 at 10:22 am

Hi, Pat,
    We receive numerous questions about specific products; due to the high volume of mail we receive, we do recommend contacting the manufacturer for that information.
    In this case, you can find the contact information at https://www.frigidaire.com/home/.
    Good luck!

• Pat Bentley Says:
    March 13th, 2018 at 5:54 pm

I have a Frigidaire refrigerator model LGHT1846QF1. How do you pull it out to clean under and behind and coils…Thank You

• Sissy Says:
    February 3rd, 2018 at 4:57 pm

went to fast or incomplete info. was that alum foil or duct tape & what do you do w/it?

• Sandy Rinzel Says:
    February 2nd, 2018 at 3:50 pm

Body oil was spilled on my night stand. I tried to remove it but it seems to have sunk deep down. Also tried putting more oil on it to blend it in. Help! I love your show – so many great ideas!

• Chris Says:
    September 4th, 2017 at 11:47 am

Most modern refrigerators have a removable front vent. Many vacuums have attachments for blinds that work well. You may be able to clean the first row on evaporator coil well. But for the other rows you may have to get more creative.

• GAY BOWEN Says:
    April 1st, 2017 at 5:38 pm

QUESTION: I HAVE AN UPRIGHT VACUUM CLEANER SO HOW DO I CLEAN UNDER MY FRIDGE? GAY

• GAY BOWEN Says:
    April 1st, 2017 at 5:35 pm

I AM AN 80YR OLD WIDOW WHO LIVES ALONE IN A ONE STORY
    HOUSE WITH A LAWN BIGGER THAN I WANT SO I NEED ALL THE HELP AND ADVICE I CAN GET. MY HUSBAND USE TO TAKE CARE OF THE OUTSIDE AS WELL AS HELP ME INSIDE BUT THAT WAS 5YRS AGO. I DOWN SIZED 3YRS AGO SO AM STILL LEARNING ALL THE INS AND OUTS OF BEING A SINGLE PERSON TAKING CARE OF A HOUSE AND LAWN. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP! GAY

• Papa Says:
    September 1st, 2016 at 3:42 pm

The only way to do a complete job would be to pull the refrigerator out.

characters available