Yard Drainage Solutions for AC Condensation Drain Runoff
By: Julie Day
My AC unit drains into the side yard, causing the clay soil to become very wet and boggy. What can I do to reduce the surface water? -Clayton
Correcting drainage problems in neighborhoods are tricky, because there’s always the risk that your solution will create a problem for someone else. It might be easier to have a landscape contractor analyze the situation and design a solution that keeps everybody in the neighborhood happy.
Whether you hire someone or tackle the problem yourself, your solution is likely to involve two components:
- Rerouting the AC drain water
- Improving soil drainage
Reroute AC Drain Condensation
Your first step is to route some of the drainage water elsewhere. Ideas include:
- Collection Bucket: If your air conditioner unit is high enough off the ground, you can route the condensation drain pipe into a bucket or rain barrel, then use it to water your flowers.
Improve the Soil
If the trickle from your AC unit is causing the ground to become boggy, your clay soil probably isn’t draining very well. To improve the soil’s ability to absorb water:
- Landscape Plants: Put that excess water to use by incorporating water loving plants that tolerate wet soil.
- Drainage Solutions (video)
- Importance of Proper Drainage Around House Foundation (video)
- Fixing Foundation Drainage Problems with a French Drain (article)
- Top-Dressing to Improve the Soil in Your Lawn (article)
- Using a French Drain to Remove Standing Water (video)